Thursday, 21 April 2016

Music Video



  1. Over the 3 weeks we dedicated to this project, you did screenwriting, cinematography, editing, and directing. Which skills did you feel played the biggest role during creating your music video? Which portion of the filmmaking process went the smoothest for you? Which was the most difficult?


The skills that I felt played the biggest role during the creation of my music video was the screen writing and editing. I think that screenwriting was a major part of the creation of my music video because it made the rest of the process even easier. It allowed me to know which shots and which scenes I needed to shoot on the day of filming. I think that the editing was another big role in the creation of my music video because the editing of the clips as well as how long the clips go for are really important to the meaning and story of the video. I think that though these areas had the biggest role on my music video, it was also probably the most difficult parts. For the screenwriting, once I was done writing the whole screenplay and finished filming most of my clips I realised that my storyline didn’t really makes sense so I decided to re-arrange all the scenes. For editing, it was difficult due to the fact that I realised that I was missing a minute worth of film, therefore having to re-use clips from the video itself. I think that what went pretty smooth for me was the directing since I didn’t have to work with other directors I was able to decide on which angles I wanted to use.



  1. Reflect back on how you worked on this project; what did you do well and what could you have been better at? What advice would you give future Digital Film students about working on this project?


Something I did well was making sure that the clips were straightforward, and made sure that the clips didn’t go on for too long. I think that another thing that I did well on in this project was using a variety of angles and applying the lessons I learnt in class with my actual film. I think that something that I could’ve done better was filming a lot more extra clips so I wouldn’t run out of clips, and I could’ve made sure that I had three minutes worth of film to apply to the music. I think that another thing I could’ve done better was with my time management, I definitely should’ve planned my time a lot better and filmed over a course of two weekends instead of filming everything in one weekend. Some advice that I would give to future Digital FIlm students about working on this project is to take risks. If you think some of your clips looks odd or different compared to others, take that risk because sometimes in a music video, taking a risk is better than playing it safe. Also another piece of advice that I would give to the future Digital Film students would be to plan your time and story out before you begin to film, screenplays may seem like a hassle at times but it definitely enhances the process of creating your film. Last thing I would say to the Digital Film students would be to pick a song that not many people know, sometimes the more less-known a song is, the more interested the audience will be.   


  1. What was your overall opinion about the Music Video project? What did Mrs. Gach do well or what could she do better/change?

The Music Video project was probably one of my favorite projects this semester. Since the music video project is done individually, it allowed me to learn a lot more about my work ethic as well as apply the cinematography and editing skills myself instead of relying on others. I think that the music video project was by far one of my favorites because we’re constantly looking at new music videos being released by our favorite singers and artists, but we were finally able to take our favorite songs and create a story line for it. I know for me, I’ve seen a few music videos and after I felt as if the story they portrayed didn’t match the lyrics and the meaning of the song. I think that with the music video project it allows us student to be able to show off our skills independently. Mrs. Gach did really well with giving us a lot of freedom with a few rules. I think that this freedom allowed us to explore our own creativity and our own skills. Overall, I really enjoyed this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment